Thursday, December 10, 2009

David Applebaum Talks to BravoTV About His Designs

After sadly being eliminated from Bravo's "Launch My Line" last night, architect David Applebaum discusses his design vision and his experience on the show on the Bravo blog:

Burning Questions

Bravotv.com: Expand on why you wanted to start your own fashion line.

I create environments that both are beautiful and attempt to make one feel comfortable and confident. I have always wanted to know if I could translate that into something as intimate as designs that one can wear, not just walk through. Years ago I designed the flagship store and showrooms for a major clothing company. I spent a lot of time with the designers and we would feed off of each other in ways that enhanced each of our designs. They offered me a job, but I was on a different path. As I have gotten busier with my architecture and worked on different projects, I have always wondered… what if…

Bravotv.com: How do you think your area of expertise contributes to creating a fashion line?

It is all about starting with a blank canvas and using the basic tenants of design to create something beautiful. I like detail, movement, flow and proportion and translating that into clothing seems natural. I felt very comfortable designing, however as this was a totally different medium I could have used more time, more material choices and more sewing help… but that would go for my fellow contestants as well. The fun was trying to create something from nothing in a very short amount of time… like pulling the rabbit out of the hat. My architecture background was helpful, but in many ways this experience was more like a poker game. The outcome is determined not just by talent, but by the cards that you are dealt and how you play them. (read more...)

Check out Applebaum's photos from the recent "Launch My Line" red carpet launch party:

No comments: